Better late than never! I meant to get this post prepared and published on the 1st of December. Obviously that did not happen so I will say it again better late than never, especially when giving is involved.
This year when my husband asked me “What do you want for Christmas? I don’t know what to get you“. I told him to save his money and that he didn’t need to buy me anything. I don’t need anything really. I’ve been feeling the call to give back, somehow someway. I started researching charities to donate to and in case you too are feeling in the spirit of giving, I have complied a list to help make it easier. These are ones that simply stood out to me at the time of research. Since there are 31 days in the month of December, that’s how I picked my magic number of charities to share. Not all items cost you monetary units and some are even gifts that give back. When you buy gifts for your family and friends the money goes back into the related program. This list is by no means the end all be all, so if you know of a charity out there worth adding or have an idea, please comment below.
31 Days of Giving
- Operation Christmas Child – Touch the lives of Philippine children living in dire conditions by creating a shoebox filled with goodies and items of need for a boy or girl.
- Jaipur Foot – Rehabilitates the physically challenged by providing alritifical limbs to the beneficiaries free of charge.
- Face Aids – Give life-saving meds to an HIV-positive pregnant woman in Rwanda. Vital drugs to help prevent transmission of the virus to her baby.
- Save a Pet – Save a cat or dog from a from a high-kill shelter, provide them vet care and medicine so that they can become adopted.
- Pencils of Promise – Sends one child to a new school in a developing country who would not be able to attend school otherwise.
- National Coalition Against Domestic Violence – Donate your old cell phone to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence which will refurbish and sell it, then use the proceeds to get survivors back on their feet.
- A Message From The Heart – Send a Teddy Bear to a deployed child of a marine with a voice message recorded by the parent that will play when the paw is pressed.
- Drive to End Hunger – Picks up the grocery tab for a senior who is struggling to put food on their table.
- Embrace – Protect newborns in India and keep nine babies alive with a genius incubator like invention.
- Fight Breast Cancer – Help women get free mammograms.
- Fender Music Foundation – Give a guitar to a struggling music program.
- Princess Project – Donate your old formal gowns so a teenage girl can have a dress and go to her prom.
- Heart of Haiti – Give gifts that give back: Heart of Haiti gifts from Macy’s provide steady work for many Haitians.
- The Water Project – Provide access to safe, clean, sanitary water for African villagers.
- Reading Village – Help pay school fees for rural team leaders teaching younger children to read in order to break the cycle of poverty.
- Clean the Air – Defends our breathing supply from polluters. Dirty air can cause asthma attacks, take a stand against proposals that can weaker then Environmental Protection Agency.
- Unicef – Give gifts that give back: Shop for a cause and help children in need. Improve their lives, provide health care and immunizations, clean water and sanitation, nutrition, education, emergency relief and more.
- Volunteer Match -Make a difference in your own zipcode and be matched with with ways to improve your own neighborhood, such as working at a food bank, clowning around with seniors or coaching a girls’ soccer team.
- Vital Voices -Supports Egyptian women who have fought hard for change, and provides them a voice in their country’s future.
- Global Literacy Project – Pass along your favorite books [yes even ones like twilight] to deprived youth, helping them learn to read.
- CauseOn – Similar to LivingSocial and Groupon, Causeon offer’s up daily deals, however it also contributes 20% of its revenue from those deals to a charitable cause.
- Equality Now – Put sexual abusers behind bars! Guarantee the rights of women and girls. Helps provide legal support, counseling and job training to victims pursuing cases against their assailants around the world
- KrochetKids – Keep women in Uganda working and educated when you purchase a cute crotchet hat for $35 or less!
- Afghan Institute of Learning – provide two Afghan girls to take computer lessons for six months.
- Stand for the Silent – Stop bullying. This Program addresses the issue of school bullying with an engaging, factual, and emotional methodology.
- Conservation – Preserve our Oceans, save them from overfishing and pollution.
- Artists for Peace and Justice – Pay a students bus fare. Donation will help a child from the slums of Haiti to a new school for two months.
- Give an Hour -Buy a counseling session for a soldier returning home after serving in Iraq or Afghanistan.
- Care for a Chimp – Care for a chimp orphaned or harmed by hunters or pet sellers. A small donation buys food and care.
- Women for Women – Help women in war torn countries start a business. Your donation buys a sewing kit for a woman so she can earn a living as a tailor.
I am throwing a few bonus ones in here just for the heck of it, and also in case any of the above links become overwhelmed you’ll still have sites to choose from because giving and making a difference in someone’s life really does mean that much to me.
- Causeon – 20% of the site’s proceeds go to a variety of charities in your community. You can get coupons to
- Greenbelt Movement – Aid a women while stopping deforestation, donation pays a gal in Kenya to plant a tree.
- Why Hunger – Put a salad on a kids plate. Your donation will help needy kids grow produce, both for their family’s fridge and to sell at farmers’ markets.
- Career Gear – Empower men who are low-income to overcome barriers and achieve self-sufficiency. The charity provides them a suit, access to a Job Readiness Program, a Professional Development Series and MAST, a mentoring program.
- Memorial Scholarship Foundation – Open the doors of opportunity to a young person in pursuit of higher education.
- JustGive – Give gifts that give back: and the site offers an advanced search and information on nearly 1.8 million charities.